Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Help

Just got home from work, been thinking about The Help. I read this book last week. As a general rule prefer to read a book before a see a movie made about it. I figure if they made a movie must be a good book. Several co-workers had read this book and recommended it as well. This book was interestingly to say the least. Growing up in the South I am aware of the controversial civil rights movement of my grandparent's age. It is never spoken of by them, but I know they lived through it. Most people are afraid to say it, but sour feelings still are in the South. My school was primarily white. When we voted a non-white person our Homecoming king, it was the first time in history. (I graduated in 2006.) We talk to to them at school even may hang out afterwards, but we never discuss family issues or anything possible controversial. That stuff is only talked about behind closed doors. This book felt like a peek behind the curtain for life in the Ole South. It was scandalous to think this could of happened in Mississippi. I also felt it was very true to heart as our mothers still push us to marry young and have those babies quick. I could never imagine going to parts of towns in the South and asking these kind of personal questions Skeeter did. Although I would not be arrested it seems not something a proper Southern lady would do. Our reputation is second to none, once you have soiled that, you may as have lepersy for all the public concerned.  In the end a good book with a message of equality, I thank God for growing up in a time that is becoming modern, but we still hold true to certain values, that is what encourages my love of life in the South. Skeeter may have been a rogue one , but she fostered change in a peaceful manner and in the South that something to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment